The Network of Albanian Women in STEM (NAW-STEM) aims to contribute to the social and economic empowerment of women by increasing their representation in STEM, both in academia and industry.
Areas of work include:
- Increase visibility of Albanian women in STEM, in the country and diaspora
- Engage in policy formulation and advocacy for more women in leading positions, in academia and industry
- Support and facilitate structural changes that foster advancement of women in career
- Support and facilitate digital and tech education for girls and women
- Engaging in research that addresses issues and opportunities related to women representation in STEM
- Support research in STEM by linking national stakeholders with international and regional experts, institutions and capacity building initiatives
- Support and facilitate mid-career/career transitions from non-tech to tech fields
- Support regional visibility and communication initiatives on women in STEM
NAW-STEM was officially launched on February 11, 2021, following an 8-month period of events, presentations and consultations. NAW-STEM builds on the efforts of women and men working in STEM and social sciences.
Follow us on Linkedin to learn more.
NAW-STEM is running #STEMspresso – an express introduction to an exceptional woman in STEM and her work – consisting of monthly online/offline short meetings, where speakers share their research, careers, work in STEM and on STEM.
Follow the STEMspresso series here.
To increase the visibility of Albanian Women in STEM online, NAW-STEM and SCiDEV are partnering with Wikimedia Community User Group Albania and Open Labs Hackerspace, to organize a series of edit-a-thons consisting in creating or editing Wikipedia pages on Albanian Women in STEM, past present and future.
Local STEMspresso – Promoting Women in STEM to Youth from Youth: aimed to increase the visibility of Albanian women in STEM and build a STEM education culture among youth in Albania, contributing to the popularization of STEM among young women and men on STEM education, increase the visibility of women in STEM in Albania, and increase creative and multimedia competences of young people. Watch here and listen here to the products developed by participating youth.
Funding Entity: UNDP Albania
STEMspresso: Empowering through Inspiring Albanian Women in STEM: aims to challenge negative stereotypes about women in the Albanian society in general and women scientists in particular, by increasing the visibility of their work and career and serve as role models for young girls in Albania. Through the project were created 12 profiles of Albanian women and girls in STEM, which were disseminated through video, podcast, and online media articles. Watch here and listen here to the products developed through this project.
Funding Entity: European Union in the framework of the project Reporting Diversity Network 2.0.
Evidence for advocacy: Closing the STEM representation gap in Albania: The goal of this project is to contribute to policy changes that impact representation of women in STEM through evidence informed advocacy.
Funding Entity: Albanian Women’s Empowerment Network, with funds of the Swedish International Development Agency (Sida).